Hello Folks,
While I am sure Alyn has already blogged about our day but I saved the best pictures for my blog! Yes that's right if you can't be as witty or fast at least have great visuals!
I have to say that the funniest part of the day was reading a sign that declared something to the effect of Maori people are known for their warmth and friendliness or something to that effect! I have to say or experience could not have been more to the contrary of that statement. In general all but one person we met at the "thermal park" in Rotorua were absolutely miserable and extremely un-helpful. In addition one of them actually took issue with poor Adele over making a statement that they could have let us know that we couldn't see the Kiwi birds as they were touring with ABBA or something. So this lady hears Adele say they should have told us and this woman in the office then attacks with some mundane argument like "well they only found out recently themselves you know" But I am thinking ‘Yeah recently like a week ago when the flyer that they handed us, AFTER buying the tickets, was printed.’ Clearly we didn't buy our tickets before they had ‘said kiwi info’ but it didn't seem like pursuing the argument would help so off we went to experience more warm and friendly culture at the food establishment!
Other scary thoughts from NZ include that the main highway is a 2 lane (one in each direction) road that is under construction in many places where off-roading-vehicle comes to mind and it's a fairly winding road through mountains and past many many sheep!
I must say however that New Zealand must be near the top of the list for most beautiful places in the world to see. The scenery is ridiculously gorgeous and you can basically look in any direction and see a sight that takes your breath away!
I had other witty thoughts to add but I can't think of them anymore .... I am blaming that on... ummm.... to much good food! (Thanks Dave and Adele you rock!) I must say hotel Richards is definitely a 5 start establishment with a lovely bed, washroom in our room, lovely coffee and food, loads of entertainment and sight seeing to do, conversation and fun to be had by all!
Ok explanation of the photos is as follows:
First, Boling mud yep that's right boiling! Makes me think of that old movie Labyrinth with David Bowie.

Next, The geyser.... it's throwing steam and hot water a good 20 feet into the air. Also with said visual comes a horrible sulfur smell that is kind of like rotten eggs meets wet street dog meets cat breath. Yep, pretty darn horrible!


OK lastly this was pretty cool. It's essentially a hot tub but it would most likely cook you rather than relax you. The Maori (local aboriginals) use it to boil corn, mussels and other things and then eat them... yep, you don't want to get in THAT hot tub!
3 comments:
I am still trying to recover from the deep disappointment of not seeing the Kiwi birds....those cute little critters.....
x
the kiwi birds were touring with ABBA?!
ok...
FYI, David Bowie references date you... SEVERELY
Post a Comment