Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Food Poisoning and Other fun......

Well I guess my penchant for strange foods finally caught up to me this past weekend in London. On the Friday night we had Mongolian BBQ which I have to say was quite lovely. On Saturday Jenni and I went downtown with her nephew Alexander to the world's largest toy store or at least London's largest anyway. On the way back we stopped at a lunch place called Pret a something or other and I picked up Sushi as i have been craving it and have had it from there before. Anyway we then walked towards the bus stopping to do a little shopping on the way and once on the bus decided to eat what we had picked up..... the wait may have been my fatal error!


We arrived home and I felt fine and a couple of hours later we ate Ethiopian food (which looks scary but tastes good) and then headed of to bonfire night or Guy Fox night depending on what you want to call it. Turns out Guy Fox was this guy who tried to blow up the entire Royal family and the whole Government in one go, but his plans were foiled at the last minute and they burnt him and his 12 friends at the stake. So this seems like a wonderful story to make a holiday out of and so they have! So the have a massive bonfire (sometimes complete with stuffed bodies to throw on them apparently) and a fireworks display which was rather impressive!


So at the end of all this hoopla I started feeling a little ill and had a strong urge to get back to Jenni's apartment. That is when it all began.... I threw up the first time at 10:35PM and that was sign of things to come all evening! Our friend Gary was sleeping in the hall that night like a Welsh refugee as there was 8 of us staying in Jenni's 2 bedroom flat (thanks Jenni!) So I think I woke him up every time I got up to go and "make some noise". However the lovely fellow reached up his hand half asleep and took my hand when I came out after the second time and prayed for me... it was very sweet. And so the night continued with several trips to follow until there was nothing left and I was able to sleep. On Sunday I ran a fever all day and felt quite ill. I ate very little and didn't drink enough fluids to satisfy my husbands maternal instincts (How did he get those anyway?)


Monday we woke up and I still felt really rough and not much like eating. Alyn the sweet man that he is packed all my stuff up as movement made me feel much worse and we headed off to the airport. We had planned on meeting friends for coffee at the airport but it turned out that I was still feeling so ill that we had to cancel and we just sat in the Heathrow lounge waiting for our flight. We ran into Jeremy and Connie Sinnott in the lounge and they also ended up getting upgraded to first class and were in the row in front of us. So at least on the flight home it was first class, nice food (which I ate a little off), lots of room, whatever movie you want and sleep (I ended up watching a movie where the female lead gets food poisoning... how bizarre is that!). Upon landing the lovely Sarah Dalley picked us up form the airport and we got to hang out with her a bit and then headed home to bed.


I am feeling much better today although not completely myself yet

4 comments:

Adele said...

Hello lovely AJ - so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Now are you sure it was the Sushi? Because in my experience Ethiopian Food is issued directly from Beelzebub's bottom and must surely be the cause of all intestinal ailments.

By the way, I love your rendition of Guy Faulks Night or is it Guy Fawlkes? At any rate I liked the sound of Guy Fox.....perhaps a red-headed cousin of the original? xx

A.J. said...

Personally I am starting to lean towards blaming the Ethiopian as every time I think of it I want to hurl however that could just be because that's what I saw coming back up for hours!!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that you malign the name of ethiopian food..the delicious morsels, the tasty curries.... ahhh...
maybe we should go to the queen of sheba next week...??

Adele said...

Happy birthday on your official day of celebrations...don't forget to update us soon with all your birthday antics so we can gain vicarious pleasure. (That has absolutely nothing to do with a vicar by the way)
Eagerly awaiting your new blog post...
Adele
xxx

uh oh, the word verification is 8 letters long...this could take a while...