I know you are all dying to know how our internet free vacation went. Well after the first 4 days and three night I would have had to say the score was nature 1 - Jones' 0.
Yep, sadly the cottage experience was not all it was cracked up to be. The cottage was not actually finished being built and so there was no working kitchen just a stove, 40 year old fridge and 3 folding tables in a large empty room. The running water that was located closest to the kitchen would be found in the laundry room down the hall. the furniture was all hideously uncomfortable and the beds were not big enough for 2 adults to sleep together in the same bed which meant Alyn pulled a single mattress in and slept on the floor.
Now please add to this the mice or furry woodland creatures that were nestling in the walls and at night would have scratching festivals to ensure our sleepless nights... and the clincher? I mean the real clincher? The deck and dock, which were lovely, were entirely covered in shade all day long at this time of year! Yep, The trees were so many, and so large, that the shade covered the entire deck every waking moment! So in the shade on the windy deck with the forest mosquitoes we would try to brave it and pretend we were enjoying "vacation".
On day I even swam out to the floating dock to try and get sun. Of course by the time I got there I was freezing and the sun went behind the massive clouds that seemed to haunt our time there. So here I am laying on a floating dock, in the shade, in the wind, every hair on end, freezing and praying for sun, trying to convince myself that this is the life! In the end I abandoned the floating raft when Alyn came and picked me up in the canoe as I could not face getting wet again!
So we left Wednesday after calling Starwood (Westin hotels) and arranging to use almost all of our points for 3 glorious night and 4 glorious days in Ottawa in a 4 star hotel. We walked around the market, the mall, Parliament, swam in the pool and sat in the hot tub and slept well at night in a King size heavenly bed in a junior suite (free upgrade woohoo!) with no woodland creatures scratching near our heads. So the second part of the week? Nature 0 - Jones' 1
7 comments:
Well, it seems like the Jones should stay away from Nature.... I am glad things got better for you.
Thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Miss ya-
Charlene
ha ha, that was fun entertainment for first thing Monday! You guys really crack me up! Plenty of chuckles (from the guys) and sympathy (from the girls) as we all read it!
Oh and BTW, you can't leave it as one all - surely there must be a clear winner!!! Or is it an on-going story?
Russ
And you call yourselves Canadian... Tsk, tsk.
seriously....what is with you guys and your "vacations"...
maybe God just knows how much you like blogging, so He makes sure your stories are well funny!!! :)
I have to say...i laughed harder than I was sympathetic ;)
...sounds like the bases of a good movie...i should write to hollywood!
I am killing myself laughing.
Seriously.
Laughing so hard I didn't abbreviate because I wanted you to know how hard I am laughing.
that's right.
OK add to that we were not allowed to eat sugar in preparation for the cleanse which meant all comfort eating was out!
Char - Thanks! I still like nature though.
Russ - I think this will be an ongoing tally of the Jones' vs. nature!
SA - I am a tired canadian that needed sleep un-interupted by nightly animal activities! :-)
Joyce - we laughed too so I don't blame you! Yep, we laughed all the way to our 4 star hotel!
Shannon - Glad you enjoyed it. I don't think we laughed as hard as you did however!
Now that was Nature not playing fair. At least there should have been sunshine! The shivering AJ on the raft made me so sad. Glad that you escaped for a hotel!
xx
Post a Comment