
So what is with the title "house guest" you ask? (Yes you did ask Shannon don't even pretend you didn't!) Well the cottage that we stayed in (if you can call it a cottage as it was mostly ply wood and 2X4's with Styrofoam as dividing walls!) was somewhat rustic to put is mildly. Spiders out numbered humans ten to one. They had kindly added a shower on this year to the "Evangelists cabin" which we were very thankful for but the floor (being plywood) didn't seem up to the weight of people walking on it which was somewhat disconcerting!
So house guests .... well we had several spiders which were killed as quickly as possible by Alyn or myself, we had a large moth that was definitely trying to kill us or at least annoy us to death as we tried to sleep which Alyn made short work of. (he shall here by be known as "the Moth Slayer") The most excitement with regards to house guest came on the last night when we shut off the light and were talking about the day before drifting off into blissful slumber. Alyn heard what we thought was another large moth and so Alyn went to turn on the light and then we swiftly came to the realization that in fact our house gust was a bat! Yes BAT!!!!

Our conversation went something like this:
Me: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Bat! (action: hide underneath cover while hysterically plotting death of said winged creature!)
Alyn: It's flying at my head!
Me: Kill it! Go Moth Slayer go!
Alyn: I don't know how to kill a bat!
Me: Go get Wade! (he is the camp director and the guy that brought us in. he is also a local to I figure he should be great a bat killing).
So Alyn turns off the lights and heads out into the wild outdoors. at which point I start screaming about not being left alone with the bat!
Alyn: Returns to get hysterical wife.
We then start walking through the cottages looking for someone brave to take care of the winged visitor. At which point we found one cottage with the lights on and hired our very own bat slayer!
Evan (The Bat Slayer) came back to our cabin and searched for the intruder. After 20 minutes there was still no sign of where it was hiding. Eventually Evan decided it must have left on it's own but Alyn being the clever man that he is suggested turning on all the lights (since they don't like light) and seeing if we can find him. Well sure enough out he flew and started swooping at us again. So Evan swung his bat with vigor and firmly hit the bat mid-air sending it into the wall with a thud. Our house guest was dead and we were able to sleep!
Here endith the adventure of the traveling speakers and their house guests!
5 comments:
I hate bate.
Um...what? I meant to say "bats". I hate bats. I don't really know what "bate" is enough to hate it.
Awwww....the poor cute little bat....sooo sweet. Ok, not when flying around one's head in a log cabin in the middle of the night.
We went to a bat tree in Nigeria to see the fruit bats. Then they captured a few for barbecuing. Happily I didn't have to eat the bats myself.
I like bats and snakes and I don't mind spiders. Hmmm...that is weird behaviour for a girl.
Also - did anyone else TOTALLY enjoy the irony of the bat being killed with a bat....
my favorite part was the "hysterical wife"...I can totally see it!!
but, please, let me not pretend that i wouldn't be doing the same thing!!!....had I been there...and had a husband...
ummm I love Lobster too!.... mmm Lobster...
Post a Comment